Are you curious to see which devices are using your network router? Or just trying to run a network diagnostics but don’t know what a MAC address is? Well, do not worry. Finding a MAC address is a relatively easy and quick process.
A MAC address is like an identification number of every electronic device. Though rare, you might at times need to know the MAC address of your device to perform certain functions. It is where this guide will help you. A MAC address lookup is a tool or process that enables you to retrieve or search for the MAC address of a specific electronic device on your network or the internet.
You can view MAC addresses across several devices in a few easy steps. So, please stay connected to know how to find MAC address on your devices.
What is a MAC Address?
A media access control address, a MAC address, is an identification number for every electronic device. A MAC address consists of groups of alphanumeric characters that are 12 in number. A colon or a dash usually separates the characters.
This address is displayed in Ethernet, Wi-Fi, and BlueTooth connections. The MAC address is hard-coded into the device, so one cannot change it. However, certain companies like Apple Inc. allow the devices to mask their MAC addresses.
Additionally, some other software and tools can help users to spoof or mask the MAC address for privacy reasons. Even though every MAC address is distinctive to the device’s network card, manufacturers sometimes reuse them in different devices due to limited options.
Why is MAC Address Required?
MAC address is essential as it identifies every device on the internet. It is also required to function on the internet and transmission control protocols. Your network router can help you view or change the MAC address temporarily.
The primary reason a MAC address is required is that not all IP addresses are unique. If your PC doesn’t already have an IP address, it will request it over the internet using the DHCP. Therefore, to ask for an IP address and be able to communicate using the internet, your device must send its MAC address to the DHCP server.
A MAC address is important for your network router. The router uses the MAC address to determine which device uses what port. It then sends the data packets to the suitable device. Routers store MAC addresses data instead of the IP address of devices.
How to Find MAC Address
Finding the MAC address of your devices is a relatively simple process. Mentioned below are the ways you can find the MAC address of your Apple and Android phones, Windows laptops, and MacBooks.
- On a Windows PC
To find MAC address on your Windows PC or laptop, follow the steps given below:
- Tap the start menu or click the ‘Windows’ key
- A search box will appear; enter the command ‘cmd’ on it and press enter
- A command window will launch; type the ‘ipconfig /all’ command and tap on ‘enter.’
- The physical address that arises is the MAC address of your device
- On a MacBook
To find your Macbooks MAC address, follow the steps given below:
- Open the system preferences from the drop-down menu by clicking on the Apple menu
- Press the network section and click the desired network
- Then press on the ‘advance’ option and go to the ‘hardware’ section
- The MAC address will appear in the top section. You can also change its configuration.
- On a Linux Machine
To view the MAC address of a computer running Linux OS, follow the steps given below:
- Press the control, alt, and T keys together to open the terminal window
- Enter the ‘ifconfig’ command as the new command prompt window
- The MAC address will be displayed right next to the HWaddr label
- On an iPhone
To find MAC address on your iPhone, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open the setting app on your phone
- Tap on the ‘General’ tab, then tap on ‘About.’
- Scroll down to the Wi-Fi address section; the MAC address will display beside the Wi-Fi address bar
- You can also long press on the MAC address to copy it
- On an Android
Android has a range of different smartphones; some may require additional steps or have other ways to view the MAC address. However, this guide is a general method for most android phones.
To view the MAC address of your Android phone, follow these steps:
- Open the setting app on your phone
- Then select the ‘about phone’ tab and tap on ‘status.’
- Below the Wi-Fi MAC address bar, you can view the MAC address of that device
Though essential for every electronic device, a Mac address is mostly not vital to know. Therefore, even if you do not know the MAC address of your gadget, it will hardly affect your day-to-day activities.
However, if you need to know it, you can use this MAC guide to get to know how to find MAC address of your gadgets.